points - Details)
- Maps and Driving Tools: 38 easy-to-use maps detail the existing roads that comprise the original Route 66, along with site-to-site mileage, driving times, detailed directions for the entire route, and full-color photos throughout
- Eat, Sleep, Stop and Explore: With lists of the best hikes, bites, roadside curiosities, and more, you can admire extraordinary landscapes like Acoma Pueblo or Joshua Tree National Park, explore big cities like Los Angeles and Chicago, or wander abandoned ghost towns. Immerse yourself in classic Americana with outsider art and kitsch masterpieces, find the most Instagram-worthy retro motels, and sample the breadth of regional cuisine, from deep dish pizza to carne asada
- Flexible Itineraries: Moon Route 66 Road Trip covers Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California. Drive the entire original Mother Road in two weeks, or follow strategic routes for shorter trips to Chicago, Los Angeles, St. Louis, Santa Fe, and the Grand Canyon, plus side trips to Taos, Las Vegas, Joshua Tree, and Santa Monica
- Expert Perspective: Jessica Dunham has driven thousands of miles along the famed highway and provides cultural insight, insider tips, and critical history of the route
- Planning Your Trip: Know when and where to get gas and how to avoid traffic, plus tips for driving in different road and weather conditions and suggestions for international visitors, LGBTQ travelers, seniors, road-trippers with kids, and accessibility
With Moon Route 66 Road Trip’s practical tips, detailed itineraries, and tried-and-true expertise, you’re ready to fill up the tank and hit the road.
Looking for more great American road trips? Try Moon Pacific Northwest Road Trip or Moon California Road Trip.
From the Publisher
Moon’s road trip books offer practical tools to get you on the road and ready for an epic drive. Following the classic route from Chicago to Los Angeles, Moon Route 66 Road Trip features itineraries, travel tips, maps, key sights, and recommendations for where to eat and stay. This book also includes colorful photos and strategic trip ideas, so you can fully explore the history and charm of the Mother Road.
Find your way
Use this book to follow the historic route from Chicago to L.A. with turn-by-turn directions and streamlined travel maps. Moon Route 66 Road Trip is laid out for the classic east to west drive, with major chapters dedicated to each state. Hitting the road in Oklahoma instead of Illinois? No problem! Find information on rentals and arrivals to begin your Route 66 journey from any state along the way.
What to see and do
Choose where to spend your time with listings of the best food and accommodations in each region, or follow suggested itineraries to spend more time in key cities. Notable detours and side trips are included to allow you to plan for memorable experiences, like gawking at the Grand Canyon, cruising down the Las Vegas strip, or taking the High Road to Taos.
Author Jessica Dunham’s thoughtful approach provides travelers with both insight and inspiration: find neon photo ops, read up on the many women who have contributed to shaping and preserving the Mother Road, and get your kicks with suggested songs for each leg of the trip.