points - Details)
For a limited time, receive a free Fodor’s Guide to Safe and Healthy Travel e-book with the purchase of this guidebook! Go to fodors.com for details.
Written by locals, Fodor’s Essential Japan is the perfect guidebook for those looking for insider tips to make the most out their visit to Tokyo, Kyoto, and beyond. Complete with detailed maps and concise descriptions, this Japan travel guide will help you plan your trip with ease. Join Fodor’s in exploring one of the most exciting countries in Asia.
Japan offers something for every traveler, with opportunities to try outstanding cuisine, experience nature, and immerse yourself in art, nightlife, and adventure. The country continues to draw visitors to experience its exquisite beauty. In stunning full-color, Fodor’s Essential Japan illustrates the country’s eternal draws, from ancient temples and gardens and the deliberate pace of the tea ceremony, to the dizzying, frenetic pulse of its high-tech cities.
Fodor’s Essential Japan includes:
- •UP-TO-DATE COVERAGE: Fully updated, including fresh reviews on new hotels in Kyoto, to a closer look at the increasingly popular Okinawa prefecture, plus the latest in culture, dining, and art.
- •ULTIMATE EXPERIENCES GUIDE: A spectacular color photo guide captures the ultimate unmissable experiences and attractions throughout Japan to inspire you.
- •DETAILED MAPS: Full color and full-size street maps throughout will help you plan efficiently and get around confidently.
- •GORGEOUS PHOTOS AND ILLUSTRATED FEATURES: Full color photos will help inspire you. Stunning magazine-style color features highlight must-have experiences, including Japan’s history and cuisine, shopping in Tokyo, gorgeous sites like Mount Fuji and temples in Kyoto and Shikoku, the art of Monozukuri, a walking tour through Hiroshima’s Peace Memorial Park, and more.
- •ITINERARIES AND TOP RECOMMENDATIONS: Sample itineraries will help you plan and customize your own itinerary so you can make the most of your time. Includes tips on where to eat, stay, and shop as well as information about nightlife, sports and the outdoors. “Fodor’s Choice” designates our best picks in every category. “Fodor’s Choice” designates our best picks in every category.
- •INDISPENSABLE TRIP PLANNING TOOLS: Fodor’s Japan features a beautifully illustrated Japanese Cultural Primer, with the lowdown on everything from etiquette to the tea ceremony to the Japanese obsession with baseball. Money-saving tips help travelers make the most of their yen. Each individual chapter has its own planner section with all visitors need to know about regional transportation and accommodation.
- •JAPANESE CHARACTERS AND TRANSLITERATIONS: This edition includes Japanese characters and transliterations across our listings for hotels, restaurants, sights and more, making the guide indispensable for solo exploring.
- •SPECIAL EVENTS COVERAGE: Information on experiencing the Cherry Blossom Festival which takes place from March to May (or February in Okinawa).
- •COVERS: Tokyo, Kyoto, Mount Fuji, Okinawa, Sapporo, Hiroshima, and more.
ABOUT FODOR’S AUTHORS: Each Fodor’s Travel Guide is researched and written by local experts. Fodor’s has been offering expert advice for all tastes and budgets for over 80 years.
Looking for a more in-depth look at Japan’s capital city? Check out Fodor’s Tokyo.
From the Publisher
HELPFUL PLANNING ADVICE
Find what you need faster with color-coded category icons and easier-to-read two-column text.
GORGEOUS COLOR PHOTOS
Beautiful photos packed throughout will fuel your wanderlust.
ITINERARIES AND MAPS
Itineraries, maps, travel tips, and neighborhood guides will acquaint you with your destination and help you maximize your time.
IN-DEPTH FEATURES AND EXPLANATIONS
Learn about history, culture, and more with in-depth spotlight features